CJS Professional: May edition
In response to last year's surveys we've partially reset CJS Professional and included a full 'contents' page with links to all the different sections and items mentioned. We hope you like this new style CJS Professional, do let us know what you think and if there any more changes you'd like to see, email us.
Title, Employer, Location: (contract details if known)
Featured Job: Teaching Trees Education Officers (self-employed), Royal Forestry Society Location: 1x Lincolnshire / Northamptonshire; 1x Ceredigion (self-employed, 1-2 dpw initially, school term time)
Lead Ranger, Torbay Coast and Countryside Location:Occombe Farm, Devon
Countryside Ranger (Occombe Farm), Torbay Coast and Countryside Location:Occombe Farm, Devon
Ranger, Ironbridge Gorge Museum Trust Location:Coalbrookdale, Shropshire
Cairngorms Peatland Actions Project Officer, Cairngorms National Park Location: Grantown on spey (Fixed, 1 year)
Farming and Rural Enterprise Officer, Northumberland National Park Location: Based Rothbury (1x fixed term 2 years; 1x maternity cover)
Assistant Trail Maintenance Ranger, Northumberland National Park Location: Hadrian's Wall Path Nation Trail, based The Sill National Discovery Centre, Bardon Mill (fixed term to 28/2/19)
Biodiversity Officer, The Parks Trust Location: Milton Keynes
Countryside Tasks Assistant, Oxfordshire County Council Location: Eynsham, Oxfordshire (full time, temporary - pintail one year)
Assistant Instructor, Sayers Croft Outdoor Learning Centre (Westminster City Council) Location: Surrey (Apprenticeship type role: 1 year starting 30/7/18)
Wildlife Sites Project Officer, Wychavon District Council Location: Worcestershire (part time 30hpw)
Community Projects & Activities Officer, Ribble Rivers Trust Location: Based Clitheroe, Lancs (37.5hpw, 24 month fixed term)
Seasonal Survey Assistant x 2, Ribble Rivers Trust Location: Based Clitheroe, Lancs working across the catchment (37.5 hpw, 12 week contract June-Oct)
Wildfowling Administrator, British Association for Shooting and Conservation - BASC Location:Wrexham
Ecologist, South West Lakes Trust Location: Roadford Lake, Devon
Head Ranger - Estate Management, Kelburn Castle and Country Centre Location: Fairlie, nr Largs, Ayrshire
West Norfolk Reserves Manager , Norfolk Wildlife Trust
OED Assistant Editor: Science, Oxford University Press Location:Oxford
44 adverts listed since the last edition, click here to see all current listings .
Chris Packham's UK Bioblitz - Nature reserves are not enough will visit 50 sites across the UK in mid July. Our objectives are to document the biodiversity at these sites, and raise awareness of a wide variety of issues around wildlife and conservation as we go. [more]
Three new listings added during April.
In the news this month: RSB and University of Gloucestershire spider citizen science project leads to publication. New research, fueled by thousands of sightings recorded by the public, has shed new light on UK house spider behaviour. published by Royal Society of Biology.
Current edition is CJS Focus on Volunteering, the next edition will be published on Monday 21 May and is CJS Focus on Greenspace in association with Fields in Trust. Packed with lots of interesting articles covering many aspects of managing urban greenspace. Watch our social media channels for notification of when this edition is published or wait until next month's CJS Professional when it will be included in full.
Also an advance notice of the next CJS Focus on Volunteering , due for publication in September and a call for suggestions for the final edition of the year looking at Employability.
Third article from our Featured Charity: The Vincent Wildlife Trust, Introducing the polecat by Lizzie Croose. Read here.
The polecat is one of our lesser-known mammals and many people have never seen or even heard of a polecat. The polecat is in fact a native British mammal, a member of the weasel (mustelid) family and related to the stoat, weasel, otter and pine marten.
Plantlife, our featured charity in 2017, launches the Great British Wildflower Hunt
- Pathway to Healthy Peatlands Set out in UK Peatland Strategy – IUCN UK Peatland Programme
- LI publishes new vision for Green Belt - Landscape Institute
- New proposals for a wilder Britain - critical moment to reverse the decline of nature – The Wildlife Trusts
- UK Government rallies Commonwealth to unite on marine waste with ambitious plan to end sale of plastic straws, stirrers and cotton buds – Defra
- People should be brought to the centre stage to deliver more environmental and social benefits - CCRI
- Three articles about the link between nature and being outdoors and increased health benefits
- Sign of the times, National Park to trial boundary signs - South Downs National Park
- 30 year river study finds overlooked extinction crisis – Cardiff University
- Expeditions to study health of whales in Hebrides using pioneering laser photography - Hebridean Whale & Dolphin Trust
- Crowded urban areas have fewer songbirds per person - University of Exeter
- The Breeding Bird Survey – 2017 - JNCC
- Publication of wildlfe crime report and a breakthrough in use of DNA for wildlife crime
- Even familiar birds at risk of extinction, new study finds – BirdLife International
- Further restrictions on neonicotinoids agreed - defra plus reaction from NFU & Buglife
- Extending the badger cull could result in the killing of thousands of healthy badgers, risk spreading bovine TB and waste taxpayers’ money – BBOWT
- WWT are celebrating: Cause for celebration over crane chicks and First hand-reared godwit returns to UK
Calendar of events and short courses occuring in July, 23 pages.
Plus additions to long courses and providers made over the past month.
Details of 7 new and updated listings.
The next edition of CJS Professional will be published on: 14 June
Got something to share or want to advertise? The deadline is: 5pm Monday 11 June